What should I wear to stay warm and dry during winter?

Dress warmly and stay dry during winter. Adults and children should wear:

• a hat
  • a scarf or knit mask to cover face and mouth
  • sleeves that are snug at the wrist
  • mittens (they are warmer than gloves)
  • water-resistant coat and boots
  • several layers of loose-fitting clothing

Be sure the outer layer of your clothing is tightly woven, preferably wind resistant, to reduce body-heat loss caused by wind. Wool, silk, or polypropylene inner layers of clothing will hold more body heat than cotton. Stay dry -- wet clothing chills the body rapidly. Excess perspiration will increase heat loss, so remove extra layers of clothing whenever you feel too warm. Also, avoid getting gasoline or alcohol on your skin while de-icing and fueling your car or using a snow blower. These materials in contact with the skin greatly increase heat loss from the body.

Continue Learning about Wellness

What May Be Wreaking Havoc on Your Body Clock
If you find yourself nodding off at 10 p.m. despite your best efforts to stay awake, or routinely opening your eyes at 7 a.m.—even on mornings when yo...
The Worst Work Habits for Your Health
The Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your Health
Kick these bad work habits to the curb for a healthier 9 to 5. Americans spend around 1,790 hours a year at work. That’s a lot, and it means that what...
How Is Detoxification Related to Fasting?
Can Too Much Clutter Be Harmful to My Health?