What are some ways sitting can hurt my health?

Sitting around -- driving, eating, working, knitting, emailing, watching TV -- is lethal. This isn't news. Everyone's known for a while that Coach Potato-Itis is a serious heart threat. And recent studies have shown that lots of sitting, even if you get serious amounts of exercise, messes up your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol.

But here's the new shocker: Sitting causes cancer. Scientists have just tied 49,000 US cases of breast and 43,000 of colon cancer each year to prolonged sitting. That puts tush time right up there with smoking, obesity and a passion for pork rinds.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: High Insulin Prices and Sunscreen Damage to Coral Reefs
Q: Is there any way for me to bring down the cost of my insulin? It’s really gotten out of control and I’m on a fixed income. —Jenny F., Tampa, FL A:...
How do I know if my life is out of balance?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
We innately know about cycles, flows, and balance of life. We are fluid, flowing, surrendering, ...
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
These seemingly harmless habits are actually sabotaging your health goals.
What Does It Mean to Be Clean Enough?
What Does It Mean to Be Clean Enough?