What is a healthy weight for my height?

The body mass index (BMI) calculation is the easiest way to get an idea of a healthy weight for your height.  The calculation is:
[weight in pounds ÷ inches squared] × 703 = BMI
A healthy BMI score is between 19 and 24.9. 
We can reverse the calculation in order to calculate a healthy weight range:
o First square your height in inches.  Then multiply be 0.027 (this number comes from a BMI of 19 divided by 703).  This is the lower end of your healthy weight range.
o Then take your height in inches squared and multiply by 0.0354 (calculated using a BMI of 24.9 divided by 703).  This will give you the high end of your healthy weight range.
Example for a 5’6” person (66 inches):
66 x 66 = 4356.
4356 x 0.027 = 117.7
4356 x 0.0354 = 154.2
o The healthy weight range for this person is 117.7 – 154.2 pounds.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: Alternatives to Sugary Drinks and AFib Treatments
Q: My son and his bicycling and skateboarding buds have all fallen under the spell of marketing campaigns for sodas and power and sports drinks. I can...
How Your Zip Code Affects Your Health
How Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your Health
Find out where the most positive, least stressed people with the best diets live. The top three rules of real estate? Location, location, location.  ...
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
Stay motivated and get fit with these personal trainer-approved health tips. Do you ever wonder how personal trainers stay so fit? Surprise: you don’t...
Get Organized Without the Stress
Get Organized Without the Stress