What are the health benefits of playing a musical instrument?

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
When you learn new things, you give your brain a workout, so why not learn a new instrument? Studies have found that students who take music lessons have increased intelligence quotient (IQ) levels, and even show improvement in their nonmusical abilities. And when you play a wind instrument, such as the saxophone, flute, trumpet, trombone, clarinet or even a pennywhistle, you get the added benefit of improved lung capacity.

Continue Learning about Wellness

People Are Drinking Charcoal: Here’s What You Need to Know
Wellness brands and social media influencers alike have embraced activated charcoal as the hottest new health craze. Labels boast that activated charc...
Does my body have its own intelligence?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Your body, that thing you've been referring to as a tub of lard, is actually a miracle of the finest...
9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)
9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)
Boost your morning mood with these easy, expert-approved tips.
How Do I Do a Cleansing Detox?
How Do I Do a Cleansing Detox?