What are some examples of formative reading?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
Historically, humankind has practiced formative reading across all faiths and cultures. Sacred texts such as the Bible in Christianity, the Torah in Judaism, the Koran of Islam, the Upanishads and the Vedas in Hinduism, the Discourses of Buddha in Buddhism, the I Ching in Taoism, and the teachings of mystics throughout the ages all serve as a conduit for entering into a deeper communion with the unseen.

We can also practice formative reading with the great spiritual thinkers throughout history such as Thomas Merton, Henri Nouwen, or Anthony De Mello, or the noble poets and mystics of the ages, such as Rumi, Julian of Norwich, or St. Teresa of Avila. Find the text that resonates with your unique needs.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

News: Americans' Well-Being Declines in 2017
Overall well-being among U.S. adults has declined substantially this year. The Gallup-Sharecare Well-Being Index score so far in 2017 is 61.5, down 0....
How can I stave off burnout from work?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
When you turn off cell phones and other work technology, time will take on a luxurious slowness ...
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
Stay motivated and get fit with these personal trainer-approved health tips.
Why Am I Cold All the Time?
Why Am I Cold All the Time?