What are the components of an intentional life?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
There are three ingredients, or components that are the foundation for living an intentional life. They are awareness, choice, and energy, which is easy to remember as ACE. These essential roots for living an intentional life are not sequential. The key is to become aware of these three key elements in your life and learn how to navigate them.

The process can begin by developing your awareness (A) of the daily experiences of your life. I advise each client and patient to pay attention and "listen to your life." Listen to what ignites your passion and creativity, to what gives you energy. Listen to what drains you, distracts you, and irritates you. These are the first clues to becoming more conscious of the nature of the life you now live, the one you have already created.

This awareness leads to a desire to exercise intentional choice (C) in your life. Once you are aware that your life is the result of a series of your choices, and the life you are currently living is a result of the choices you have already made, you learn to take responsibility for your life. Victim mentality ends when you understand the power of choice. You may not control many of the circumstances in your life, but you can choose your attitude and intentions in response to circumstances.

Developing your awareness and making intentional choices creates new energy (E) and power in your life. When you begin listening to your life, you become more aware of what you are eating, who you are living with, and where you go to work each day. You will begin to notice an energy swelling within you as you become more aware. If you choose to stay in a challenging job or relationship, you can choose to change your attitude.

You will make new and different choices, because you now know that life is your choice, and you are the hero of your life, not the victim. You will radiate confidence and a new sense of your own power. As you follow this energy, you will be led down the path to your intentional life. Your energy fuels your passion and as a result you experience the joy of living an intentional life.

Awareness, choice, and energy (ACE) are not experienced in any particular order. Once you understand each component, you will see that they are woven into the fabric of living an intentional life.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Why Preventive Care Matters
Why Preventive Care Matters
There’s no denying it: using preventive health care services is key to improving overall wellbeing and extending life expectancy, as well as keeping h...
How can I monitor my health without increasing my stress levels?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
It's important to be informed about your health so that you can participate in making important deci...
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your environment has a relationship to your health and well-being.
What Does It Mean to Be Clean Enough?
What Does It Mean to Be Clean Enough?