What are some risks of social media?

People can get swamped in social media and spend too many hours a day on the computer (or TV). Just two hours a day sitting in front of the computer increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 20% and your risk of getting heart disease by 15%.

The problem with Facebook is that you think you are interacting socially with others when you are not. This can lead to what psychiatrists call desensitization -- a kind of dulling of your ability to interact with people right in front of you. Add that to regular ol' alienation and you have a formula for unhappiness or even depression.

Continue Learning about Wellness

What’s Considered Sexual Harassment at Work?
Ben Affleck, Charlie Sheen, Dustin Hoffman, Harvey Weinstein, James Toback, Kevin Spacey and most recently NBC’s TODAY Show host Matt Lauer. Day by da...
What is health and wellness?
Jay Morgan, NASM Elite TrainerJay Morgan, NASM Elite Trainer
The World Health Organization defines health as "not merely the absence of disease or infirmity, but...
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your environment has a relationship to your health and well-being.
How Can Too Much Clutter Be Harmful to My Health?