What are some risks of social media?

People can get swamped in social media and spend too many hours a day on the computer (or TV). Just two hours a day sitting in front of the computer increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 20% and your risk of getting heart disease by 15%.

The problem with Facebook is that you think you are interacting socially with others when you are not. This can lead to what psychiatrists call desensitization -- a kind of dulling of your ability to interact with people right in front of you. Add that to regular ol' alienation and you have a formula for unhappiness or even depression.

Continue Learning about Wellness

How 10 Minutes Can Change Your Life
How 10 Minutes Can Change Your Life
Ready for an intensive, all-encompassing process to change your life?  Yeah, me neither. Kind of tough to fit in, between prepping the presentation f...
Ask Oz and Roizen: Protecting Your Heart and False Positive Drug Testing
Q: My friend Linda ended up in the hospital after a heart attack. She’s only 42 and I never thought that could happen to a woman who was that young. N...
Egotism Vs. Ego Strength
Egotism Vs. Ego Strength
When George Harrison wrote I me mine in 1969, he was commenting on the oversized egos of Lennon and McCartney, which ended up pulling the band apart l...
Ask Oz and Roizen: Alternatives to Sugary Drinks and AFib Treatments
Q: My son and his bicycling and skateboarding buds have all fallen under the spell of marketing campaigns for sodas and power and sports drinks. I can...