What are functional disorders?

Master Stephen Co
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

The patient often comes away from the encounter without any real understanding of the problem, its cause, or what can be done about it, other than to take medicine to control the symptoms. Seventy percent of all visits to a primary care physician proceed like this, with patients seeking treatment for difficult-to-diagnose problems called functional disorders, which are ailments that cause real, discernible symptoms but that present no medically detectable cause: no virus, bacteria, tumor, mass, or structural abnormality. Functional disorders include problems such as irritable bowel syndrome and many other types of gastrointestinal complaints, many types of headaches and backaches, many types of urinary urgency and frequency, many types of pelvic pain in women, and so on. These problems are termed “functional” because, despite a lack of perceptible pathology, the body’s functioning is disrupted. Even though there is no apparent reason for the symptoms, however, people with functional disorders still suffer real pain and discomfort. Crushing headaches can prevent them from leading a normal life; chronic gastrointestinal upsets can interfere with their ability to enjoy many foods; painful back spasms can render them bedridden; the overpowering and sometimes embarrassing need to go to the bathroom may occur at inconvenient or difficult times.

Your Hands Can Heal You: Pranic Healing Energy Remedies to Boost Vitality and Speed Recovery from Common Health Problems

What if one of the most effective tools you have to restore your health is not surgery or medications, but your own hands? Incredibly, your hands can heal you -- with the "energy medicine" of Pranic...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Spring Cleaning for Change and Growth
Spring Cleaning for Change and Growth
Our lives are constantly forming around our intentions whether they are conscious or unconscious. When we make them conscious we are choosing to move ...
How can I reach my goals?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Choose positive support systems to help you achieve success and reach your goals. Find people who wi...
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
These five measurements can determine whether you thrive or just survive.
What Sort of Shoes Are Right for My Feet?