Should those supporting my lifestyle changes be healthy themselves?

Sheri D. Pruitt
When making lifestyle changes, the more time you spend with a potential supporter (someone who is not necessarily making changes but has agreed to support you) on a daily basis, the more important it is for their health habits to be in line with your goals. If your Auntie Mae lives a thousand miles away but has agreed to talk with you any time you want or need to, she probably doesn't need to change her own eating or exercise habits in order to support you. However, your spouse, children, or co-workers, with whom you spend the majority of your time, will be a lot more helpful if their own lifestyle habits are in line with your goals.

The other advantage in having supporters whose lifestyles are consistent with your goals is that they are likely to be more sincere and enthusiastic in their support. It's more difficult for someone who eats poorly, doesn't exercise, and smokes to say with sincerity that they believe in the changes you are trying to make and understand their importance. This doesn't mean that someone with poor lifestyle habits isn't capable of caring about you and the changes you are trying to make; it simply means they may be less committed to your goals.
Living SMART: Five Essential Skills to Change Your Health Habits Forever

The myriad of books and programs that encourage people to stop smoking, get organized, spend less, or exercise more tend to focus on what or why to change, but rarely explain how to change. Living...

Continue Learning about Wellness

What Makes YOU Tick?
What Makes YOU Tick?
Riveting insights from a rock-star doc . . . Nobody gives you more compelling answers to body questions than the charismatic Mehmet Oz, MD -- a regul...
Should I ask for a raise?
Face it. Your boss doesn't want to give you a raise. It's more money away from his bottom line. But ...
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
Stay motivated and get fit with these personal trainer-approved health tips.
How Do I Know If I Am a Perfectionist?
How Do I Know If I Am a Perfectionist?