How do young people develop into adults?

There are three ways that young people develop into adults, and they’re all interconnected. Although you can take different pathways, all potential pathways influence one another:
  • Biological processes produce changes in your physical nature and include genes inherited from parents, brain development, height and weight gains, changes in motor skills, and the hormonal changes of puberty.
  • Cognitive processes refer to changes in your thinking abilities, intelligence, and language. Putting together a sentence, memorizing a poem, mastering trigonometry, imagining what it would be like to be a movie star, and solving a crossword puzzle all involve cognitive processes. Tempted to jump out a window because it looks like fun? Your executive function, or frontal lobe processing, would help you figure out whether it is a first-floor window and safe or whether it’s a recipe for a broken leg (or worse).
  • Social and emotional processes involve changes in your relationships with other people, changes in emotions, and changes in personality. An infant’s smile in response to a parent’s touch, an adolescent’s joy at seeing a favorite band perform on stage, your relief when your classmates stop calling you your least favorite nickname, or the trauma of getting cut from the team all reflect the role of social-emotional processes in development.    

Continue Learning about Wellness

Proven Ways Your Commute Can Make You Healthier
Active transportation—a mode of transportation powered by people, like biking and walking—promotes a multitude of benefits, according to the Gallup-Sh...
How can having a pet help improve my overall well-being?
Having a dog or cat peacefully nap by your side can be comforting. Pets can reduce loneliness, lower...
Here's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a Day
Here's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a DayHere's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a DayHere's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a DayHere's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a Day
Sure, I lost a few pounds, but that wasn’t all.
What Is a Negative Ion Generator?
What Is a Negative Ion Generator?