How do wellness coaches deliver their programs?

Lyn Turton

Wellness coaches can work with clients in-person, via telephone or online using webcam (such as Skype) or email. 

Studies have shown online & telephone coaching to be an effective method in weight loss.  It allows appointment flexibility, no travel time or travel cost and use of email can provide ease of contact for both client and coach.

Coaches generally offer a program of varying length rather than one or two appointments as they are working with clients to achieve and maintain health goals that may take some time. A series of appointments allows for the support & motivation necessary for behavior change & goal achievement.

Wellness coaches can deliver their programs in person through meetings or over the phone. These individuals offer guidance with topics that include weight loss, eating habits, and even stress reduction. Customized care plans for program participants which include goals and plans of action are often part of their services. They frequently offer further assistance by coordinating care of other health vendors to optimize participant care.

Wellness coaches can work in person, or via the telephone. Coaching via telephone is very common, particularly for coaches who are self-employed. There is also increasing use of coaching via e-mail, online chat, or video conference such as Skype.

Wellness coaching is a conversation that leads toward the identification, pursuit, and realization of one’s goals.  The key word here is “conversation,” which is what makes phone coaching possible.

Some coaches do a combination of phone coaching and face-to-face coaching sessions, typically in a small office.  If the coach works in the fitness center or health care facility, chances are they do almost exclusively in-person sessions.  Most wellness coaching like to meet once a week, though depending on the client, bi-weekly or monthly sessions may be appropriate.

As a wellness coach, I want to work with people to help them develop a compelling wellness vision - their desired future self, in say 5 years. We can then set medium-range goals, typically lasting 3 months, that help move toward that vision.  At each weekly meeting we’ll set weekly goals - small, manageable steps toward the 3 month goals.  These are the stepping stones to the vision.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Health: A Work in Progress
Health: A Work in Progress
It was about eight years ago. I was 33 years old, with a BMI considered clinically obese and a family history of diabetes and heart disease. I knew I ...
How can helping others affect my health and well-being?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
A generous soul lives a rich abundant life. Altruism neutralizes negative emotions that affect i...
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too7 Things Your Personal Trainer Does That You Should Do, Too
Stay motivated and get fit with these personal trainer-approved health tips.
Should I Cleanse Or Detox My Body?
Should I Cleanse Or Detox My Body?