How do supermarkets get shoppers to spend more?

Supermarkets get shoppers to spend more money with great marketing; they know how to appeal to all the senses, leading shoppers to buy extra items they don't need. Watch psychologist Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, explain how this marketing works. 

Supermarkets are designed to make you walk out with way more items in your shopping bags than you intended. Next time you’re strolling the aisles, pay attention to the sensory sensations your supermarket uses to seduce you: the smell of brewing coffee and donuts, the colorful signage around the DVDs near the checkout, even the music is designed to make you reach for your wallet. During quiet business hours, supermarkets play slower music, hoping it will cause you to linger and buy more. On average, these supermarket tricks can cause you to spend $50 more per trip. Be sure to walk in with a list—and stick to it!
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Wellness

How to Manage Depression and Your Child’s Exposure to Movie Violence
Q: I’m taking the serotonin-reuptake inhibitor sertraline (Zoloft) for depression—I feel so much better!—and I assumed it was okay to keep taking my v...
What are some examples of formative reading?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Historically, humankind has practiced formative reading across all faiths and cultures. Sacred t...
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your environment has a relationship to your health and well-being.
Dr. Tamar Chansky - What are the best ways to manage procrastination?