How can I stay healthy in middle age?

To stay healthy in middle age, be aware that midlife is a time of transition, and many things will change, including your body. There are things you can do to help manage those changes and control your health as you age. For example:
  • Watch your diet.
  • Get regular physical activity.
  • Ttry to maintain a healthy weight.
  • If you're 45 or older, get blood sugar tests at least every three years. Your health care professional may want to test you more often depending on your risk factors for developing diabetes.
  • Measure your waist every few months. A high waist-to-hip ratio increases your risk of insulin resistance and diabetes.
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Don't get sandwiched between your kids and your parents. In your forties, it’s common to feel squeezed between caring for your kids and your aging parents. This double whammy can strain your marriage, finances, and sanity. Don’t forget to put yourself first, otherwise you won’t be able to help anyone.

Do double your exercise efforts. Try thirty minutes of exercise every day to release stress. Try yoga, try meditation. You may need them more in this decade than any other.

Do speak candidly with your dermatologist. If you’re not happy with what you see in the mirror, it may be time for more aggressive therapies in your dermatologist’s office. Don’t be afraid, because some of the quick fixes require nothing more than a little prescription cream or the quick pulse of a laser.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Head for the Hills
Head for the Hills
If you're looking for a healthy place to take a vacation, consider heading for the hills. People who live in mountainous regions appear to have lower...
How should I decide which of my goals to pursue first?
John C. Norcross, PhDJohn C. Norcross, PhD
Most of us have a long bucket list of behavioral goals and lifetime resolutions to pursue. How c...
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
These five measurements can determine whether you thrive or just survive.
What Are Some Benefits of Detoxification?