How can I spend more time doing enjoyable activities?

John Preston, PsyD
List all the activities in your life that bring you peace and joy, and find ways to increase the amount of time you spend doing them. Make a plan to increase the amount of time you spend doing that activity.

For example, if you like spending time with friends but find you "have no time" to meet with them, phone or e-mail a friend asking him or her to meet with you next week. You may think you have no time, but perhaps you can meet and run errands together, like shopping for groceries or making a trip to the dry cleaners, or maybe you can make a plan to exercise together as a healthy alternative to going out for drinks or coffee. Another way to share time is to trade making dinner at each other's home. You could even meet at a carwash and catch up while your cars are getting cleaned. Try to make this the first of a regular monthly or weekly visit, depending on the circumstance. Explain to your friends that you enjoy their company, have missed seeing them, and would like to plan to see them more often.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Wellness

How to Cope with Your Diagnosis
How to Cope with Your Diagnosis
Q: My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer (they caught it early) and she’s going to have to go through a lumpectomy and chemotherapy. The part she...
What can I do to get ready for spring?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
Here are a few things you can do to get ready for spring: paint your bedroom a fresh, new colorbuy...
How Your Zip Code Affects Your Health
How Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your Health
Find out where the most positive, least stressed people with the best diets live.
What's the Main Cause of Health Attitudes in this Country?