How can I spend more time doing enjoyable activities?

John Preston, PsyD
List all the activities in your life that bring you peace and joy, and find ways to increase the amount of time you spend doing them. Make a plan to increase the amount of time you spend doing that activity.

For example, if you like spending time with friends but find you "have no time" to meet with them, phone or e-mail a friend asking him or her to meet with you next week. You may think you have no time, but perhaps you can meet and run errands together, like shopping for groceries or making a trip to the dry cleaners, or maybe you can make a plan to exercise together as a healthy alternative to going out for drinks or coffee. Another way to share time is to trade making dinner at each other's home. You could even meet at a carwash and catch up while your cars are getting cleaned. Try to make this the first of a regular monthly or weekly visit, depending on the circumstance. Explain to your friends that you enjoy their company, have missed seeing them, and would like to plan to see them more often.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Welcome, Veterans!
Welcome, Veterans!
Every American's goal is a healthy, happy life for themselves and their loved ones. And as a Veteran of the United States military, you know that the ...
How can I stay healthy if I work from home?
About 30 million Americans work from home at least once a week, and that number is expected to keep ...
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your environment has a relationship to your health and well-being.
Why Am I Cold All the Time?
Why Am I Cold All the Time?