How do I practice formative reading?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
As you allow the words of the text to surround and envelop you, read as though you have all the time in the world. Read passages that strike that inner chord over and over again. Each time you re-read a passage, it will sink deeper into you, and you will sink deeper into it. When you read the same passage at different times in your life, you re-experience the words from different perspectives, and discover different insights in the same text at different times and in different situations.

Read a poem or passage out loud and savor its sounds in your soul. Read a short passage, then put it down. Inhale. Exhale. Contemplate the message in silence. By breathing deeply and consciously, you strengthen neural connections, stimulate beneficial hormones, and invite in a profound sense of well-being.

Soak in the words. Let them permeate your whole body, lingering with you long after you have moved on from your reading. Practice awareness, intention, and choice to bring more balance and fulfillment to your everyday engagement with the written word.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Wellness

Wellness

Wellness is a difficult word to define. Traditionally wellness has meant the opposite of illness and the absence of disease and disability. More recently wellness has come to describe something that you have personal control over. ...

Wellness is now a word used to describe living the best possible life you can regardless of whether you have a disease or disability. Your wellness is not only related to your physical health, but is a combination of things including spiritual wellness, social wellness, mental wellness and emotional wellness. Wellness is seen as a combination of mind, body and spirit. Different people may have different ideas about wellness. There is no single set standard for wellness and wellness is a difficult thing to quantify.