How do I practice formative reading?

Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
As you allow the words of the text to surround and envelop you, read as though you have all the time in the world. Read passages that strike that inner chord over and over again. Each time you re-read a passage, it will sink deeper into you, and you will sink deeper into it. When you read the same passage at different times in your life, you re-experience the words from different perspectives, and discover different insights in the same text at different times and in different situations.

Read a poem or passage out loud and savor its sounds in your soul. Read a short passage, then put it down. Inhale. Exhale. Contemplate the message in silence. By breathing deeply and consciously, you strengthen neural connections, stimulate beneficial hormones, and invite in a profound sense of well-being.

Soak in the words. Let them permeate your whole body, lingering with you long after you have moved on from your reading. Practice awareness, intention, and choice to bring more balance and fulfillment to your everyday engagement with the written word.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: The Link Between Smoking and Drinking, and the Dangers of Cipro
Q: My friend said she had to quit drinking, so she could quit smoking. I don’t understand what she’s talking about. Is there science there or is it al...
What factors affect my health status?
There are many factors that affect your level of health.  They can be divided into different cat...
The Worst Work Habits for Your Health
The Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your HealthThe Worst Work Habits for Your Health
Kick these bad work habits to the curb for a healthier 9 to 5.
What Are the Differences Between the Apple and Pear Shaped Bodies?