How can I make more time for myself?

John Preston, PsyD
If one of your stress-reducing activities is something you enjoy doing alone but you find that family and work obligations interfere with your ability to make that commitment to yourself, you may need to practice giving your own needs top priority sometimes. For example, you may like going for walks but find that, after making dinner for the family and putting the kids to bed, you're just too tired in the evenings to walk. Ask yourself if there are other times in the day when you can take time to walk, for instance, in the morning before the kids are awake or during your lunch hour at the office. Or you may ask your partner, if you have one, to make dinner twice a week and put the kids to bed so you can take an after-dinner walk. It's important to make your own need for relaxation and stress reduction a priority, even if it means saying no to another commitment or asking a loved one to help out.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: Surgical Outcomes and Heart Problems Related to Low Carb Diets
Q: My husband is usually an up-beat guy and he has battled prostate cancer with good results. Now he’s looking at colon cancer surgery and he’s really...
How important is oxygen to the body’s well-being?
Pam GroutPam Grout
While most of us can go something like two weeks without food (I couldn't, but those explorers who g...
How Your Zip Code Affects Your Health
How Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your HealthHow Your Zip Code Affects Your Health
Find out where the most positive, least stressed people with the best diets live.
The Doctors Are In!
The Doctors Are In!