How should I implement a plan for growth in my life?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Make your own choice for growth and begin to implement it right away. Start with something tiny and manageable - something so simple it seems almost too silly to even bother about. If you want to make exercise part of your life, try just stretching for five minutes when you first wake up. If you want to play guitar, learn a single chord each day. Once you've done it several times, your rain will adjust and it will feel normal. A habit - forming tendency can actually work to your advantage here. As you achieve your small goals, you will gain a sense of accomplishment and the empowering realization that you can do what you set out to. Gradually, increase the intensity and complexity of your goals as those change muscles build.

Finally, using nonjudgmental observation, try to determine what fundamental need you were attempting to meet with the undesired action. Was it helping you feel secure or important or valued? Be both honest and kind as you search your soul for your heart's true desire. When you can satisfy that deep yearning directly - with love or connection or a sense of contribution and creativity - then you will no longer cling to any behavior.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Well-Being in the United States: The Obama Years
This article, written in conjunction with Gallup, is a five-part exploration into the changes in Americans’ health and well-being during the presidenc...
How do I find more balance in my life?
Drew Ramsey, MDDrew Ramsey, MD
To find more balance in your life: Eat more nutrient-dense foods, be more mindful, and get 7-8 hours...
Health Screenings You Need in Your 40s and 50s
Health Screenings You Need in Your 40s and 50sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 40s and 50sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 40s and 50sHealth Screenings You Need in Your 40s and 50s
Detect diseases early with these crucial tests for both men and women.
What's the Main Cause of Health Attitudes in this Country?