How should I implement a plan for growth in my life?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Make your own choice for growth and begin to implement it right away. Start with something tiny and manageable - something so simple it seems almost too silly to even bother about. If you want to make exercise part of your life, try just stretching for five minutes when you first wake up. If you want to play guitar, learn a single chord each day. Once you've done it several times, your rain will adjust and it will feel normal. A habit - forming tendency can actually work to your advantage here. As you achieve your small goals, you will gain a sense of accomplishment and the empowering realization that you can do what you set out to. Gradually, increase the intensity and complexity of your goals as those change muscles build.

Finally, using nonjudgmental observation, try to determine what fundamental need you were attempting to meet with the undesired action. Was it helping you feel secure or important or valued? Be both honest and kind as you search your soul for your heart's true desire. When you can satisfy that deep yearning directly - with love or connection or a sense of contribution and creativity - then you will no longer cling to any behavior.

Continue Learning about Wellness

What Makes YOU Tick?
What Makes YOU Tick?
Riveting insights from a rock-star doc . . . Nobody gives you more compelling answers to body questions than the charismatic Mehmet Oz, MD -- a regul...
Can my dog's bad habits make me sick?
Man's best friend can have some bad and downright embarrassing habits. Dr. Oz and Dr. Marty Becker d...
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
These five measurements can determine whether you thrive or just survive.
What Are the Differences Between the Apple and Pear Shaped Bodies?