How can I find meaning in my work?

Samantha Reid
Health Education
To find meaning in your work, identify the purpose of why you do what you do. Some days are easier than others, but if you can pinpoint what brings you joy every day, that can help you define your purpose. Setting goals is another way to find meaning. Goals can be very valuable for you to set and achieve. The achievement of these goals will assist in showing you the value you bring to your organization.
Dr. Kathleen Hall
Preventive Medicine
What calls us out of the gloomy scenario at work is our intention to experience work as a calling, a vocation, an art, science, or craft; to see the workplace as a vital community; to understand work as just one important component of a healthy balance of activities that nurture mind, body, soul.

Freud said work is the basis of sanity, and spiritual leaders throughout time have shown us that work can be sacred. To the Benedictine monastic order, work is holy because it makes us "whole-ly." Work is not seen as punishment or penance, but as participation in creation. Work is honored as a powerful source of purpose, renewal, and dignity.

Instead of experiencing work as isolating and alienating, we can begin to see our work as meaningful and valuable. Instead of divorcing ourselves from our role as co-creators with the Divine, we can choose to experience work as an awe-inspiring example of the interconnectedness of all creation.
Alter Your Life: Overbooked? Overworked? Overwhelmed?

Themes like “I just don’t have time” and “I’m exhausted” rule our lives today. We are overbooked, overworked and overwhelmed. Just getting done what must be done fills our days. The...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Where You Live Can Reduce Your Risk of 5 Chronic Conditions, Study Shows
Most people know the basic recipe for good health: eat well, get enough exercise and see your healthcare provider regularly. But where you live influe...
What is health equity?
Health equity is when every individual has the opportunity to be as healthy as possible. Learn more ...
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
These seemingly harmless habits are actually sabotaging your health goals.
What Are Some Benefits of Detoxification?