How can I figure out who I am?

Part of the journey of finding out who you are involves finding what we like to call “your authentic being”--that is, the core of who you are beyond your basic personality traits. We can’t answer that question for you, but we can give you two bits of advice.

• One, find your passion. We don’t care whether it’s music, sports, art, surfing, photography or science. Find it, feel it, join others who share your passion, and pass it on to others who are open to it. It’s a wonderful process trying to find the thing (or things) that jazz you to the bone and that you look forward to the days you get to do that. When you come across yours, you’ll know it. And you’ll be a changed person because of it.
  • Two, carve out some time to help someone else. There are few feelings in the world that surpass that of knowing you’ve helped someone--maybe mentoring a younger student or volunteering with your family at a local charity event. It feels good and is good. So good, in fact, that some researchers have found that the effect of giving is similar to the so-called runner’s high, prompting a stream of the feel-good substances called endorphin. It doesn’t matter if you have cash to spare; everyone can give the gift of his or her own time and involvement.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Are You A Fan of Team Wellness?
Are You A Fan of Team Wellness?
A funny thing happened on Dr. Mike’s way home from watching a last-second playoff victory by th...
What can I do now to prevent chronic health problems when I'm old?
The best thing you can do for yourself to prevent chronic illnesses in the future is to eat a health...
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
These seemingly harmless habits are actually sabotaging your health goals.
What Are the Differences Between the Apple and Pear Shaped Bodies?