How can I detox my lungs and liver?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
There is no evidence that detoxes are necessary at all, and in my cases, they can actually cause harm.

When it comes to your lungs, your body has an amazing system for keeping them clean, including immune cells and tiny protective cells that serve to push toxins back out of your lungs and out of your body.

Of course, that’s assuming you don’t smoke. If you smoke or use any sort of inhaled tobacco, then the #1 way you can detox is to STOP. If you live around anyone who smokes, you absolutely need to reduce your exposure, as breathing secondhand smoke is just as dangerous as smoking yourself.

As far as your liver, again, your body is amazing at doing its own detox -- and the great news is that you don’t need to do anything to help it! Instead of a detox, take 2 weeks and only put healthy things into your body. That means eating plenty of fruits and vegetables -- you can choose organic if you’d like -- and avoiding alcohol, high-fat foods and sodium. Instead of doing anything to get rid of toxins, focus on only putting the good in your body, and your lungs and liver will thank you for it!

Continue Learning about Wellness

Unexpected Factors That May Influence Your Exercise Habits
A 2017 report published in Gallup and Sharecare’s State of American Well-Being series looked at the rates of regular exercise among Americans. Respond...
What is a balanced life?
Jan CampbellJan Campbell
When you are living with balance in your life, you are living with peace and harmony every day. ...
Here's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a Day
Here's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a DayHere's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a DayHere's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a DayHere's What Happened to My Body (and Mind) When I Walked 15,000 Steps a Day
Sure, I lost a few pounds, but that wasn’t all.
How Do I Do a Cleansing Detox?
How Do I Do a Cleansing Detox?