How should I decide which of my goals to pursue first?

Most of us have a long bucket list of behavioral goals and lifetime resolutions to pursue. How can we decide which goals to pursue first and which to add later?

We can follow several research-driven guidelines:

First, it helps to select two goals that complement and enrich each other. Exercise and weight loss, smoking and stress management, relationships and communication are natural pairings. Select two goals that complement each other.

Second, honor your readiness to change and pursue those goals in which you’re farther along. You’re far more likely to succeed with behaviors already in the action stage than in the contemplation stage. And we know that your confidence and dedication will zoom once you discover your change-ability.

Third, prioritize any behavior problems that immediately threaten your health or your future ability to change. You won’t be getting to many more goals if you do not first confront urgent health-compromising behaviors, such as obesity or depression.

And fourth, chase your energy right now: What do you want to pursue at this time? Of course, all of your goals are important -- that’s why they are your goals. But you’re likely to feel more poised and psyched in the moment with some more than others. Honor that feeling in prioritizing goals.

Continue Learning about Wellness

7 Strange Things That Happen to Your Body in Space
Astronauts Bob Benhken and Doug Hurley will soon begin to guide the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center to the Internati...
Can stains on my clothes indicate a serious health problem?
Certain stains on your clothes are important clues that could indicate a serious health problem....
9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)
9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)9 Ways to Wake Up Happy (Without Coffee)
Boost your morning mood with these easy, expert-approved tips.
What Sort of Shoes Are Right for My Feet?