How should I decide which of my goals to pursue first?

Most of us have a long bucket list of behavioral goals and lifetime resolutions to pursue. How can we decide which goals to pursue first and which to add later?

We can follow several research-driven guidelines:

First, it helps to select two goals that complement and enrich each other. Exercise and weight loss, smoking and stress management, relationships and communication are natural pairings. Select two goals that complement each other.

Second, honor your readiness to change and pursue those goals in which you’re farther along. You’re far more likely to succeed with behaviors already in the action stage than in the contemplation stage. And we know that your confidence and dedication will zoom once you discover your change-ability.

Third, prioritize any behavior problems that immediately threaten your health or your future ability to change. You won’t be getting to many more goals if you do not first confront urgent health-compromising behaviors, such as obesity or depression.

And fourth, chase your energy right now: What do you want to pursue at this time? Of course, all of your goals are important -- that’s why they are your goals. But you’re likely to feel more poised and psyched in the moment with some more than others. Honor that feeling in prioritizing goals.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: The Link Between Smoking and Drinking, and the Dangers of Cipro
Q: My friend said she had to quit drinking, so she could quit smoking. I don’t understand what she’s talking about. Is there science there or is it al...
Can too much work kill me?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
If you are working extremely long hours to get ahead or just to keep up in a troubled economy, the l...
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness5 Critical Factors That Determine Your Wellness
These five measurements can determine whether you thrive or just survive.
What Are Some Natural Remedies for Body Aches?