How should I deal with people who don't support my efforts to change?

Some people in your life will probably be opposed, directly or indirectly, to your self-change. Based on research and experience, we know that it helps to address the potential saboteurs from the get-go. That’s addressing, not confronting, mind you.

A polite but direct conversation along the lines of: (Name), I will be working hard soon to become (fill in your goal). It’s important to me. I realize that you may disagree with it or it may inconvenience you. I’m telling you early and upfront so that my change does not compromise our relationship. It would be great if you can support me, but I understand if you don’t.

If you view self-change as a battle, then you recruit your allies while simultaneously minimize collateral damage. You may be pleasantly surprised when the person supports you, or you may find that you were correct when you anticipated opposition. Either way, congratulations on approaching the uncomfortable topic. It takes a hunk of courage to do so.

Changeology: 5 Steps to Realizing Your Goals and Resolutions

Is there a scientific formula you can follow to change your life? Change is hard. But not if you know the 5-step formula that works whether you’re trying to stop smoking or start recycling. Dr....

Continue Learning about Wellness

10 Lifestyle Steps to Protect Your Heart, Brain and Body
When it comes to staying healthy or reclaiming your health, we always advocate getting 10,000 steps a day and eating seven to nine serving of fruits a...
How can I care for myself so that I can care for others?
Sheri D. PruittSheri D. Pruitt
Taking care of your own health is one of the most important things you can do. If you become ill...
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup StudyYour City Could Reduce These Health Risks, Says Gallup Study
Your environment has a relationship to your health and well-being.
How Can Too Much Clutter Be Harmful to My Health?