How can I care for myself so that I can care for others?

Sheri D. Pruitt
Taking care of your own health is one of the most important things you can do. If you become ill, who will do the caregiving? Here are some simple ways to make sure you care for yourself:
  • Stay healthy. Make sure you eat well, get enough sleep, and exercise each day.
  • Keep a journal of your thoughts and feelings. It's a great release for your emotions.
  • Do one activity that you enjoy every day.
  • Set aside time to be with others for an evening out or having friends over to visit.
  • Ask for help from a friend, family member, or professional organization. You don't have to do this alone.
You may feel guilty about focusing on yourself, but these efforts will help you feel better and give you the strength you need to be the best caregiver possible.
Living SMART: Five Essential Skills to Change Your Health Habits Forever

The myriad of books and programs that encourage people to stop smoking, get organized, spend less, or exercise more tend to focus on what or why to change, but rarely explain how to change. Living...

Continue Learning about Wellness

Wellness

Wellness

Wellness is a difficult word to define. Traditionally wellness has meant the opposite of illness and the absence of disease and disability. More recently wellness has come to describe something that you have personal control over. ...

Wellness is now a word used to describe living the best possible life you can regardless of whether you have a disease or disability. Your wellness is not only related to your physical health, but is a combination of things including spiritual wellness, social wellness, mental wellness and emotional wellness. Wellness is seen as a combination of mind, body and spirit. Different people may have different ideas about wellness. There is no single set standard for wellness and wellness is a difficult thing to quantify.