Can too much work kill me?

If you are working extremely long hours to get ahead or just to keep up in a troubled economy, the lack of balance between work and life may prove deadly. In Japan, where unpaid overtime and long hours are the norm, there is a legal cause of death called karoshi, which means death by overwork.

Karoshi was deemed to be responsible for 143 deaths in 2001. At least one doctor has argued that karoshi occurs not only because of long hours, but also because of the stress that is created by years of hard work coupled with a sense of feeling powerless and trapped.

Even if you are not working at that extreme, stress will take a toll on your body. Experts estimate that stressed workers ring up health care costs that are 46 percent higher than workers without stress.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Sharing Care With the Kōkua Hawaiʻi Foundation
‘Āina is central to Hawaiian life. It’s the ground beneath our feet and the soil that nurtures kalo, or taro, the older brother to the Hawaiian people...
What is a healthy weight for my height?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Unfortunately, the official standards of what is a healthy weight appear to be a little too generous...
Surprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your Happiness
Surprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your Happiness
Simple tricks to help rejuvenate your home, de-clutter your life and clear your mind.
What Are Some Fashionable Shoe Styles That Won't Hurt My Feet?