Can spending time in nature improve my capacity to focus?

Scientific research is increasingly showing that time in nature has direct and measurable positive effects on attention. Stephen Kaplan proposed the Attention Restoration Theory to explain that time in nature offers a relief from directed attention and thereby restores our capacity to pay attention. Research has shown direct impacts on improving focused attention following time in natural settings, including gardens, walks in the park or even just artwork depicting natural beauty. So many studies have shown positive results that one review of the literature describes time in nature as a readily available therapy with no side effects and zero cost that consistently and reliably boosts cognitive functioning.

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: Alternatives to Sugary Drinks and AFib Treatments
Q: My son and his bicycling and skateboarding buds have all fallen under the spell of marketing campaigns for sodas and power and sports drinks. I can...
What is a healthy weight for my height?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Unfortunately, the official standards of what is a healthy weight appear to be a little too generous...
Surprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your Happiness
Surprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your HappinessSurprising Ways Home Decor Can Boost Your Happiness
Simple tricks to help rejuvenate your home, de-clutter your life and clear your mind.
How Do I Know If I Am a Perfectionist?
How Do I Know If I Am a Perfectionist?