Can my clothing make me tired?

Getting too comfortable may actually make you more tired. Baggy and stretchy clothing makes it much easier to slouch, which strains your joints and muscles as they work extra hard to distribute oxygen throughout your body. Dressing up not only prevents slouching, but also boosts confidence. Confidence, in turn, tends to improve posture, allowing for healthy breathing.

Your clothes’ color may also be tiring you out. Dark colors like black, navy, and brown stimulate the secretion of melatonin – the chemical that makes you sleepy. The good news is that studies show there are many colors to keep you energized. White clothes suppress sleep-inducing melatonin and boost serotonin – the feel-good chemical in your brain. Red is good for an aggressive kind of energy. It’s also been shown to increase blood flow and stimulate adrenal glands. Yellow has been proven to stimulate the brain, build self-confidence, and encourage optimism.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Wellness

Ask Oz and Roizen: The Climate’s Effect on Allergies, and Diagnosing Narcolepsy
Q: My allergies are coming sooner, lasting longer and getting worse every year. Is it just me? —Amanda Y., Tampa, FL A: If you think your seasonal al...
Ask Oz and Roizen: Surgical Outcomes and Heart Problems Related to Low Carb Diets
Q: My husband is usually an up-beat guy and he has battled prostate cancer with good results. Now he’s looking at colon cancer surgery and he’s really...
6 Times Your Fatigue Is Something More Serious
6 Times Your Fatigue Is Something More Serious6 Times Your Fatigue Is Something More Serious6 Times Your Fatigue Is Something More Serious6 Times Your Fatigue Is Something More Serious
We all feel tired from time to time, but if walking to the bathroom wipes you out, there may be a reason. Fatigue is a state of mental and physical ex...
How Is Detoxification Related to Fasting?