Can my clothing make me tired?

Getting too comfortable may actually make you more tired. Baggy and stretchy clothing makes it much easier to slouch, which strains your joints and muscles as they work extra hard to distribute oxygen throughout your body. Dressing up not only prevents slouching, but also boosts confidence. Confidence, in turn, tends to improve posture, allowing for healthy breathing.

Your clothes’ color may also be tiring you out. Dark colors like black, navy, and brown stimulate the secretion of melatonin – the chemical that makes you sleepy. The good news is that studies show there are many colors to keep you energized. White clothes suppress sleep-inducing melatonin and boost serotonin – the feel-good chemical in your brain. Red is good for an aggressive kind of energy. It’s also been shown to increase blood flow and stimulate adrenal glands. Yellow has been proven to stimulate the brain, build self-confidence, and encourage optimism.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Wellness

Where You Live Can Reduce Your Risk of 5 Chronic Conditions, Study Shows
Most people know the basic recipe for good health: eat well, get enough exercise and see your healthcare provider regularly. But where you live influe...
Is preventive medicine supported by scientific evidence?
Andrew WeilAndrew Weil
Seeing the proof that preventive medicine works is often difficult since it has prevented a conditio...
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making8 Surprising Health Mistakes You're Probably Making
These seemingly harmless habits are actually sabotaging your health goals.
Why Am I Cold All the Time?
Why Am I Cold All the Time?