Why might my weight fluctuate even if I'm on a healthy diet?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Many of us who've used food for comfort and entertainment have gone on one diet after the next, each time hoping to solve our weight problem for good. Our closets have become mini-boutiques to accommodate the skinny, medium, and heavy versions of our bodies. If yo-yoing has been your pattern, as your thinking comes into balance and your eating naturally follows, your weight might continue to swing for a while.

Over time, though, the size of the swings will gradually diminish. For example, if your weight used to swing by 30 pounds, it may swing by 20 pounds, then by 10, then by 5, then by just 1 or 2 pounds. Keep in mind that most people can't go from swinging by 20 or 30 pounds to 1 or 2 in a short period.

If you're still yo-yoing, you may think you're not progressing, not healing. But healing is a process, not an instantaneous fix. The key is patience. Don't torment yourself if you find that your weight continues to go up and down for a while. It's natural.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Displacement Theory for Diets
Displacement Theory for Diets
You're less likely to see the numbers on the scale creep higher along with your age if you do this: Eat a bit more fruit with each passing year. The ...
A Simple Way to Prevent Weight Gain
A Simple Way to Prevent Weight Gain
Want to keep that number on the scale right where it is for the next dozen or so years? Here's the 60-minute secret that will make it so: daily walkin...
What is the key to lasting weight loss?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Most people who attempt to lose weight eventually gain it back. This may be because those who tr...
Why can’t I permanently keep weight off even though I am always dieting?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Dieting leads to overeating, and overeating leads to yet another diet. This is the cycle of desp...