Why might my weight fluctuate even if I'm on a healthy diet?

Laura Katleman-Prue
Many of us who've used food for comfort and entertainment have gone on one diet after the next, each time hoping to solve our weight problem for good. Our closets have become mini-boutiques to accommodate the skinny, medium, and heavy versions of our bodies. If yo-yoing has been your pattern, as your thinking comes into balance and your eating naturally follows, your weight might continue to swing for a while.

Over time, though, the size of the swings will gradually diminish. For example, if your weight used to swing by 30 pounds, it may swing by 20 pounds, then by 10, then by 5, then by just 1 or 2 pounds. Keep in mind that most people can't go from swinging by 20 or 30 pounds to 1 or 2 in a short period.

If you're still yo-yoing, you may think you're not progressing, not healing. But healing is a process, not an instantaneous fix. The key is patience. Don't torment yourself if you find that your weight continues to go up and down for a while. It's natural.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Displacement Theory for Diets
Displacement Theory for Diets
You're less likely to see the numbers on the scale creep higher along with your age if you do this: Eat a bit more fruit with each passing year. The ...
Weight Control Management With Mindful Eating
Want to lose weight fast, without changing what you eat? Quit multitasking. That's right. Sitting at your computer and catching up on e-mail and the ...
How can fruits and vegetables help me manage my weight?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help you manage your weight. Here's how: Most fruits an...
What can I do to prevent gaining more weight?
Sarah LoBiscoSarah LoBisco
Listening to your body and caring for it by feeding it nurturing and nutritious foods is the baseli...