Why is my weight measurement important?

Ozgen Dogan
Measuring waist circumference is very important. When it comes to being overweight, there are two basic body shapes: apples and pears. People with apple-shapes accumulate weight in their belly button regions. Pear-shapes store fat in their hips and legs. If you're not overweight, you may be shaped more like a cucumber or carrot. Apple-shapes run the most health risks. Studies show that heart disease, diabetes and hypertension are more prevalent in people with fat around their middles. Use a tape measure to find your waist circumference. Start at the top of your hip bones and bring the tape all the way around until it's level with your belly button. Don't pull it too tightly, and resist the urge to suck in your stomach. A healthy waist circumference should not exceed 35 inches in women and 40 inches in men. A healthy body mass index (BMI) should not be over 25.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Prevent Weight Gain With This Sweet Treat
Arm yourself against extra pounds by munching on pears. Yep, these fresh and juicy in-season treats contain two important types of antioxidants that ...
Can Coffee Make You Fat?
Can Coffee Make You Fat?
Want to gain 20 pounds this year? Didn't think so. So pay extra close attention to what goes into your coffee. A study broke down the calorie count o...
How can I prevent age-related weight gain?
Mark P. Caruso, MDMark P. Caruso, MD
Moderate to vigorous physical activity is more likely to help prevent age-related weight gain, inste...
Why should I continue to weigh myself after I lose weight?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
After you reach a healthy natural size through losing weight, continue to weigh yourself so that...