What treatment is used for weight management?

Rebecca S. Reeves

The most highly recommended treatment for losing weight is a strong lifestyle change program which includes reducing calories, increasing physical activity and addressing factors in your life which could contribute to your weight. These factors can include portion sizes of food you eat, food selections when eating away from home, skipping breakfast, number of hours spent in front of TV or computer, number of hours you sleep, and how you handle food situations. Start walking about 15 minutes a day for three days a week and gradually increase until you are walking 150 minutes a week. Select an eating plan which includes healthy food selections from all food groups and then adapt it to your lifestyle. Remember, losing weight takes time and patience and small gradual changes are best maintained.

There is no single treatment - there are numerous factors that are brought to bear in weight management - the amount of weight to be lost, behavioral factors, medical/metabolic issues, and age. It is essential that a person see a physician to rule out any medical contributors or understand factors that may impact the kinds of interventions used.  In a small subset of cases, surgical interventions may be considered. But in general, the majority of weight management interventions include dietary changes, activity, and examination of the psychological and structural factors (e.g. relationships, finances) that are contributing to certain eating patterns. We all gain weight for different reasons so we need to use different approaches to losing it.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Simple Don't-Get-Fat Formula
Simple Don't-Get-Fat Formula
It's a fact of life: We tend to gain weight as we get older. But you'll pack on fewer pounds over the years with this simple formula. Walk 2 to 4 hou...
Displacement Theory for Diets
Displacement Theory for Diets
You're less likely to see the numbers on the scale creep higher along with your age if you do this: Eat a bit more fruit with each passing year. The ...
How can I control my weight?
Troy Taylor, NASM Elite TrainerTroy Taylor, NASM Elite Trainer
When you control your food, you control your weight. The best food education you could ever get is l...
How can I control my food intake to maintain weight loss?
Sharon Richter, RDSharon Richter, RD
You can control your food intake to maintain your weight loss by minding your portions. Using chopst...