I haven't changed what I eat, so why am I gaining weight?

During middle age, we lose muscle mass if we do not do resistance exercises; that muscle loss causes your metabolism to slow, and we tend to become more sedentary and less active. In addition, the hormonal changes associated with menopause increase the likelihood that you will develop love handles, a beer belly, or a muffin top. (However, that doesn’t mean that the hormone changes actually induce weight gain.) Bottom line, even if your eating habits haven’t changed, and you are building muscle, your other lifestyle choices as well as your physiology may be contributing to your weight gain. To counteract it, get those 10,000 steps a day (no excuses!), keep eating right, do resistance exercises, and keep that stress in check.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

As you age and lose muscle mass, the rate at which you burn calories slows down. If you eat the same amount of food, you will naturally gain weight. Also, if you move the same amount and do not increase your activity level to compensate for the calories, you will gain weight. You can make simple adjustments to your diet and move a little more and you will find that you won't gain weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Don't Derail Your Diet, Make a YOU-Turn
Don't Derail Your Diet, Make a YOU-Turn
You're going to make wrong turns. You're going to turn left at the chili dogs, make a right at the blueberry pie and occasionally merge onto the inter...
Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Lost a little weight recently? Here's the magic number you need to know to keep it off: 275. That's how many extra minutes of exercise per week a stu...
What factors ensure success in achieving long term weight loss?
Lisa LillienLisa Lillien
In order to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss, you must change your lifestyle! In this vide...
How can I keep off weight once I have lost it?
Kirsi BhasinKirsi Bhasin
Here are the top 4 tips I give my weight loss clients for lasting weight loss:Support. Have fam...