I haven't changed what I eat, so why am I gaining weight?

During middle age, we lose muscle mass if we do not do resistance exercises; that muscle loss causes your metabolism to slow, and we tend to become more sedentary and less active. In addition, the hormonal changes associated with menopause increase the likelihood that you will develop love handles, a beer belly, or a muffin top. (However, that doesn’t mean that the hormone changes actually induce weight gain.) Bottom line, even if your eating habits haven’t changed, and you are building muscle, your other lifestyle choices as well as your physiology may be contributing to your weight gain. To counteract it, get those 10,000 steps a day (no excuses!), keep eating right, do resistance exercises, and keep that stress in check.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

As you age and lose muscle mass, the rate at which you burn calories slows down. If you eat the same amount of food, you will naturally gain weight. Also, if you move the same amount and do not increase your activity level to compensate for the calories, you will gain weight. You can make simple adjustments to your diet and move a little more and you will find that you won't gain weight.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Weight Maintenance

Weight Maintenance

Losing the weight is only one step in the journey to better overall health. After the weight is gone, it's all about maintenance – adopting a lifestyle that incorporates healthy eating, daily exercise and continued goal setting. A...

nd there are lots of different ways to maintain your weight that help make the lifestyle switch easier: eat breakfast daily, load up on fruits and veggies and establish manageable weight loss habits like walking once a day. All of these can be easily incorporated in your healthy weight maintenance plan and keep you from putting the pounds back on.