How do I successfully manage my weight for life?

Whether your objective is weight loss, weight gain or maintaining your current weight, lifelong success in weight management depends on new ways of thinking:
  • Make health, not appearance, your weight-management priority. Strive for your best weight for health. Remember this is not necessarily the lowest weight you could be or even what you may consider your ideal number.
  • Set realistic, attainable goals. Start with where you currently are and set more manageable goals. A goal of losing five pounds in the near future is more attainable than losing 25 pounds over a year's time.
  • Focus on a healthy lifestyle and not on dieting. Diets are too often short-term tactics that do not end with long-term results. Make changes to your overall lifestyle that are realistic and able to be carried out long-term.
  • Cut yourself some slack. Allow for occasional slipups in your eating strategy. Also, plan for treats and splurges, allowing yourself to indulge every once in a while, making up for it at another time.
  • Expect success. If you doubt yourself, you're more likely to fail. Positive self-talk and an enthusiastic approach to weight management can set you up for success.
Whatever method you choose for your weight management program, stay strong and don't give up. It will inevitably be harder at some times than others, but stick with it and remember it's about your health and not your appearance.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

How to Stop the Lose-Gain Weight Cycle
How to Stop the Lose-Gain Weight Cycle
In their own way, classical cellist Yo-Yo Ma and feminist hip-hop innovator Yoyo make inspiring, gut-grabbing music. That’s a lot more than can be sai...
Waist Management, Not Weight Management
Waist Management, Not Weight Management
It's hard to forget about body fat. You see it when you get dressed, get washed, and get jiggy. You feel it when you sit down, when you walk upstairs,...
How much can my weight fluctuate in one day?
Heidi PowellHeidi Powell
The amount a person's weight can fluctuate every day really depends on that individual's body. In th...
How can fruits and vegetables help me manage my weight?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help you manage your weight. Here's how: Most fruits an...