How can I prevent age-related weight gain?

Mark P. Caruso, MD
Moderate to vigorous physical activity is more likely to help prevent age-related weight gain, instead of dieting alone, according to a new study.

Researchers from the University of South Carolina examined the related affects of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity, diet quality and weight status across a range of age categories in U.S. adults. The study of 4,999 Americans, ages 20 to over 70 years old -- published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise -- found that body mass index (BMI) and waist circumference tended to be higher in the older adults.

But it was higher levels of physical activity that were consistently associated with more favorable weight status, compared to attempts at changing dietary habits without incorporating regular exercise. Of course, proper nutrition is critical at any age, but the most recommended programs for ideal weight management involve both dietary improvements and physical activity.

Another group of researchers found that staying physically active as you get older could prevent brain damage that can limit mobility.

Both studies are only the latest to reaffirm the importance of regular exercise, which can include something as simple as brisk walking, as you get older. Remember the catch phrase "never slow down" because when you do slow down, that’s when the aging process begins to catch up.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Eat Often and Stay in Control
Eat Often and Stay in Control
When Bruce Springsteen recorded Hungry Heart, he probably didn’t know that his lyrics, “Like a river that don’t know where it’s flowing, I took a wron...
Simple Don't-Get-Fat Formula
Simple Don't-Get-Fat Formula
It's a fact of life: We tend to gain weight as we get older. But you'll pack on fewer pounds over the years with this simple formula. Walk 2 to 4 hou...
What kind of scale measures only weight gain or loss?
Barb MacGillivary, NASM Elite TrainerBarb MacGillivary, NASM Elite Trainer
Dr. Oz highlighted the Quantum Scale on his show. The Quantum Scale simply measures how much weight ...
How can I control my food intake to maintain weight loss?
Sharon Richter, RDSharon Richter, RD
You can control your food intake to maintain your weight loss by minding your portions. Using chopst...