How do I know if I am a healthy size?

Not everyone can, or should, be skinny. But everyone can be healthier. Doctors use two common ways to tell if your weight is healthy for you.
  • Measure your height and weight. Your doctor will compare your height and weight to a chart called the body mass index chart (BMI). This helps tell if you should lose weight and about how much.
  • Measure around your waist. People who carry extra weight around their waist may be at higher health risk. Use a tape measure to measure around your waist. For women, more than 35 inches is too much. For men, more than 40 inches is too much. It's not good to be underweight or overweight. In the U.S., most people are overweight.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Weight Maintenance

Weight Maintenance

Losing the weight is only one step in the journey to better overall health. After the weight is gone, it's all about maintenance – adopting a lifestyle that incorporates healthy eating, daily exercise and continued goal setting. A...

nd there are lots of different ways to maintain your weight that help make the lifestyle switch easier: eat breakfast daily, load up on fruits and veggies and establish manageable weight loss habits like walking once a day. All of these can be easily incorporated in your healthy weight maintenance plan and keep you from putting the pounds back on.