How do I know if I am a healthy size?

Not everyone can, or should, be skinny. But everyone can be healthier. Doctors use two common ways to tell if your weight is healthy for you.
  • Measure your height and weight. Your doctor will compare your height and weight to a chart called the body mass index chart (BMI). This helps tell if you should lose weight and about how much.
  • Measure around your waist. People who carry extra weight around their waist may be at higher health risk. Use a tape measure to measure around your waist. For women, more than 35 inches is too much. For men, more than 40 inches is too much. It's not good to be underweight or overweight. In the U.S., most people are overweight.

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Lost a little weight recently? Here's the magic number you need to know to keep it off: 275. That's how many extra minutes of exercise per week a stu...
Waist Management, Not Weight Management
Waist Management, Not Weight Management
It's hard to forget about body fat. You see it when you get dressed, get washed, and get jiggy. You feel it when you sit down, when you walk upstairs,...
How much can my weight fluctuate in one day?
Heidi PowellHeidi Powell
The amount a person's weight can fluctuate every day really depends on that individual's body. In th...
Why do I find it difficult to keep off the weight I've lost?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Is your brain sabotaging your attempts to keep weight off? In this video, Dr. Robin Miller explains ...