How can fruits and vegetables help me manage my weight?

A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help you manage your weight. Here's how:
  • Most fruits and vegetables are low in calories. You can eat a lot of them without upsetting the balance between your food intake and your energy output.
  • Fruits can help you satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way. So can many vegetables -- remember the taste of fresh tomatoes, sweet corn, and carrots?
  • Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Many contain antioxidants -- substances that protect your body cells from damage (like "rust-proofing" for your body).

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Displacement Theory for Diets
Displacement Theory for Diets
You're less likely to see the numbers on the scale creep higher along with your age if you do this: Eat a bit more fruit with each passing year. The ...
What Your Jeans Can Tell You
What Your Jeans Can Tell You
I know so many women who are married to their scales when they should be married to their jeans. If you vacillate from triumph to despair depending o...
What is the key to lasting weight loss?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to stay motivated. In this video, registere...
How can I make sure to maintain my weight loss?
Mona Vand, PharmDMona Vand, PharmD
Great question. The most effective way to maintain weight loss is to do it the right way: slowly and...