Can non-exercise activity thermogenensis (NEAT) control my weight?

Based on recent research and from a psychological standpoint, NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) i.e. walking while working at a treadmill desk, is a good way to control fat storage. 

It may not make a huge improvement in your fitness level, but in my opinion any added movement is a good thing. Especially in our sedentary society.

Exercise and working out is a huge chore and is dreaded by most, so adding in activity that uses extra energy, helps create that negative energy balance that is necessary to trigger your body to let go of and prevent the addition of fat stores.

It's also a great start to bigger and better things for those who aren't used to moving.

Non-exercise activity thermogenensis can control if done efficiently, and effectively. One of the best ways to make sure that non-exercise activity will be beneficial is to incorporate wearing a heart-rate monitor to keep an eye on a specific zone based on one’s age, and fitness level. Once you know the minimum heart-rate zones you should be in at all times even when one is not in the gym, and allow caloric burn to be enough for maintaining weight.

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Mayo Clinic researchers point out that long-term weight control may be easier to maintain by focusing more on increasing non-exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT) than by planned exercise. Certainly both are important, but the potential of NEAT is quite extraordinary. For instance, Dr. Levine's lab has set up a model office where workers each stand on a treadmill with a special computer stand that allows them to type, talk on the phone, and conduct their daily work while they walk at 0.7 miles per hour. People report that it is easy to get used to this very slow pace and they actually experience less fatigue, increased mental clarity, and better work performance. Walking in this way burns an extra 100 to 150 calories per hour, or up to 1,000 calories per day. This is as many calories as an elite athlete might burn during a training session for an Olympic event.

Hunger Free Forever: The New Science of Appetite Control

From two leading authorities on appetite control, obesity, natural medicine, and food comes a breakthrough in getting healthy and staying slim without starving.Millions have spent years searching for...

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Lost a little weight recently? Here's the magic number you need to know to keep it off: 275. That's how many extra minutes of exercise per week a stu...
Do You Know How Much You Really Eat?
Do You Know How Much You Really Eat?
When Arnold Schwarzenegger confronts his altered memories in the 1990 movie Total Recall, what he thinks about his wife, his job, and even his own nam...
What factors ensure success in achieving long term weight loss?
Lisa LillienLisa Lillien
In order to achieve and maintain long-term weight loss, you must change your lifestyle! In this vide...
Why do I find it difficult to keep off the weight I've lost?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Is your brain sabotaging your attempts to keep weight off? In this video, Dr. Robin Miller explains ...