Can I maintain a healthy weight if I eat only when I'm hungry?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
To consume the exact number of calories necessary to maintain a lean body mass that will prolong life, you must get rid of toxic hunger (physical addiction to an unhealthful, low-micronutrient diet) and get back in touch with true hunger. If you eat when hungry and don't eat when not hungry, you will never have to diet or be overweight again. You do not have to carry around a calculator and a scale to figure out how much to eat. A healthy body will give you the correct signals. You only will desire the amount of calories you actually require.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Weight Maintenance

Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Magic Number That Keeps Weight Off
Lost a little weight recently? Here's the magic number you need to know to keep it off: 275. That's how many extra minutes of exercise per week a stu...
How to Stop the Lose-Gain Weight Cycle
How to Stop the Lose-Gain Weight Cycle
In their own way, classical cellist Yo-Yo Ma and feminist hip-hop innovator Yoyo make inspiring, gut-grabbing music. That’s a lot more than can be sai...
How can I achieve long-term weight control?
The best way to achieve long-term weight control is to establish healthy eating and exercise habits ...
Why might my weight fluctuate even if I'm on a healthy diet?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Many of us who've used food for comfort and entertainment have gone on one diet after the next, ...