Is L-Carnitive safe for weight loss?

Yes, L-Carnitine supplements appear to be safe but they probably won’t help you lose weight. To date, there has been no scientific evidence to support the use of carnitine for weight loss. Carnitine is an amino–acid type structure made in the body and because carnitine is necessary for our cells to burn fat for energy, it’s often sold as a fat loss supplement with the rationale being, the more carnitine in the body, the more fat you burn. Unfortunately, that has yet to be proven. However, L-carnitine is often clinically used for heart and kidney conditions. Another form of L-carnitine is Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC). ALC is a specific form of carnitine that is used for a variety of functions in many types of cells, including brain cells.  In addition to being central to energy production in brain cells, ALC has been shown to be a powerful antioxidant in stressed brain tissues. ALC levels decline in older adults, therefore supplementation is often recommended. Clinical trials have tested ALC supplementation in older people, showing benefits in the treatment of a variety of cognitive conditions.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Extra-Easy Way to Burn 100 Calories
Extra-Easy Way to Burn 100 Calories
Torching a few extra calories from your day would be a great way to edge closer to your high school size. And here's a really easy way to do it: Just ...
How can I build cheat days into my diet?
Dolvett QuinceDolvett Quince
My plan includes two cheat days during the week. Eat clean for three days (about 1500 calories per d...
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
Could these surprising things be sabotaging your weight loss?
How to Skip TV-Inspired Food Cravings
How to Skip TV-Inspired Food Cravings