Why should I break my addiction to a certain food?

Kathy Freston
Breaking an addiction can be extremely challenging -- you don't just snap your fingers and lose a craving. But in more than a few ways, those who struggle the most to break an addiction are, often, those who benefit the most.

In the case of being addicted to certain foods like meat or cheese, the addiction can manifest as obesity, disease, or loss of sex drive, energy or self-esteem. It can deaden our awareness of the impact of our actions and our capacity for empathy. When we fully understand and own the end results of poor food choices, we can challenge ourselves to break free, in the same way we might stop consuming other addictive substances. Nothing -- no habit or food or substance -- should ever own us.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

3 Easy Ways to “Think” Off Pounds
3 Easy Ways to “Think” Off Pounds
Can you really think your way thin? It’s obviously not that simple, but there are little mind tricks you ...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I want to lose weight?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
In order for you to lose weight and maintain a lifelong, healthy weight you must first transform you...
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
Deborah Wilburn
2 Small Steps to Lose Weight and Trim Your Waist