Why should I acknowledge that I am addicted to a certain food?

Kathy Freston
By simply calling it out for what it is, you will no longer blindly and unconsciously keep indulging. You will be aware, alert to the denial that wants to repress any effort to change. When I first wanted to stop eating meat -- for reasons of health and ethics -- I did battle with my urges. I wanted to be a vegetarian, but I also wanted that taste of steak in my mouth. Or the tuna sandwich wolfed down with a root beer. I thought, "Wow, I can't seem to stop myself from eating this stuff, even though I know it's not right." So I labeled it. I thought, "I must be addicted." Which led to, "I really don't want to be held hostage by any addiction or attachment. I need to handle this. If I don't handle this, I will not rise to my best potential."

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

The Water WOW for Weight Loss
The Water WOW for Weight Loss
Ready to amp up your weight loss efforts? Sip a BIG glass of H20 before meals. A study says drinking water 30 minutes before every meal could help you...
Can I drink coffee if I'm trying to lose weight?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
You can certainly drink coffee if you're trying to lose weight, but there are some key tips to keep ...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
Focus on Flavor to Curb Overeating
Focus on Flavor to Curb Overeating