When should I be worried about my weight?

If your weight starts affecting your life and health, then you you should see a doctor. It's not what your weight is, but what it does to you.

Weight gain becomes a concern when it affects your health. Body mass index (BMI) is calculated from your height and weight. A BMI of over 25 is considered overweight, and a BMI of over 30 is considered obese. Being overweight or obese is associated with many health problems, including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease.

You should be worried about your weight if you are greater than 100 pounds over your ideal body weight, have a body mass index (BMI) of greater than 40 without any associated illnesses attributed to your being overweight, or have a BMI of greater than 35 with a comorbid condition (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides or sleep apnea).

Ask your doctor about your body mass index or BMI. If the number is approaching 25, you need to start worrying about your weight. Another tool is to measure your waist and hip ratio. You should be worried if it’s more than one.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

4 Small Eating Changes for Big Weight Loss
When you think of losing weight, do you worry you’ll have to eat foods that taste like cardboard or say no to sweets altogether? Not necessary. In fac...
I am trying to lose weight and am at a plateau, am I in starvation mode?
Heather Campbell, NASM Elite TrainerHeather Campbell, NASM Elite Trainer
If you have hit a weight loss plateau, you are not in starvation mode. You have actually reached a s...
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
Use the summer to get fit, eat healthier and live better
What Parts of the Body Are Involved In Weight Loss?