When should I be worried about my weight?

Talal Khan, MD
Ask your doctor about your body mass index or BMI. If the number is approaching 25, you need to start worrying about your weight. Another tool is to measure your waist and hip ratio. You should be worried if it’s more than one.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
You should be worried about your weight if you are greater than 100 pounds over your ideal body weight, have a body mass index (BMI) of greater than 40 without any associated illnesses attributed to your being overweight, or have a BMI of greater than 35 with a comorbid condition (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol/triglycerides, or sleep apnea).
Weight gain becomes a concern when it affects your health. Body mass index (BMI) is calculated from your height and weight. A BMI of over 25 is considered overweight, and a BMI of over 30 is considered obese. Being overweight or obese is associated with many health problems, including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease.
If your weight starts affecting your life and health, then you you should see a doctor. In this video, Michael Snyder, MD, a bariatric surgeon at the Denver Center for Bariatric Surgery, says it's not what your weight is, but what it does to you.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss