What should I do if I get off-track while trying to lose weight?

There are many things that can cause us to get off track; some of these include holidays, social gatherings, eating out, or just losing focus temporarily. It’s important to remember that these things are not daily occurrences; they only happen from time to time. When they do here are a few suggestions to help you get back on track.

• Don’t let guilt cause you to give up. Beating yourself up with guilt can be dangerous. Mistakes aren’t failures, they are learning experiences. Don’t let one stumble cause you to throw up your hands in surrender!
  • Do take a moment to regroup and refocus. Look the problem square in the face to determine what went wrong. Then make a strategy to avoid making the same mistake down the road.
  • Don’t get stuck in an “I’ll start tomorrow” cycle. This cycle can last your whole life. If you are truly determined to lose weight start saying “I am doing this right now!” Begin to take the steps (not the leaps – just the steps) to get yourself there.
  • Do allow yourself a little leeway from time to time. If you find yourself in a social situation or holiday, make a plan before you go. Let the experience be enjoyable not painful. Think of the people you are surrounded by, not the food. Allow yourself one or two things that you will enjoy, and enjoy them! Remember depriving yourself may lead to binging later. Allow yourself a bit of decadence in moderation. When it’s over just pick up where you left off.
  • Don’t listen to unqualified advice. You may have heard about cleanses, fasts, pills, and diet strategies that will help you get back on track. But chances are if it’s on TV with a 1-800 number, it is not anything you should pay attention to. Those folks are salesmen, not doctors or dieticians. Questions regarding drastic weight loss measures should be discussed with a certified, licensed professional – not an employee at a 1-800 call center.
  • Do remember that healthy weight loss is not a mystery. To lose weight and keep it off is a matter of eating right and exercising. It doesn’t have to be mysterious, complicated or even difficult. Simply eat a balanced meals, moderate portions, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean means and whole grains. And keep the body moving. You don’t have to join a gym or buy expensive equipment. Whether you’re cleaning, walking, dancing, or gardening – just move!

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

4 Ways to Make Weight Loss Last
4 Ways to Make Weight Loss Last
Keeping weight off is as much about what's in your mind as about what's in your mouth. These mental strategies can get your weight where you want it—a...
Positive Reinforcement Is Effective for Weight Loss
The idea that, “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem,” has been around since biblical times (the phrasing there -- “Those wh...
Dieting? Drink Water to Lose Weight
Dieting? Drink Water to Lose Weight
Need to Lose Weight? Ask a Buddy to Help