What is naltrexone and bupropion intended to treat?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Naltrexone was developed to treat alcohol and drug dependence. Bupropion is used to treat depression. Contrave is a combination of these two drugs, approved for weight loss in people with a BMI of 30 or more. It is also approved for people with a BMI of 27 to 30 who have certain conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. It should be used along with diet and exercise. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Best Way to Lose Weight: Bet on It
Best Way to Lose Weight: Bet on It
Want to succeed at losing weight? Make like you're in Vegas and bet money on it. Yep, bet on yourself. You're more likely to hit your goals if cash is...
How do I lose weight when I can't exercise?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best way to lose weight without being able to exercise is to focus on the amount of calories you...
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
Use the summer to get fit, eat healthier and live better
Know the Difference Between Portion Size and Serving Size