What is naltrexone and bupropion intended to treat?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Naltrexone was developed to treat alcohol and drug dependence. Bupropion is used to treat depression. Contrave is a combination of these two drugs, approved for weight loss in people with a BMI of 30 or more. It is also approved for people with a BMI of 27 to 30 who have certain conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. It should be used along with diet and exercise. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Fact or Fiction: Do Men Lose Weight Faster Than Women?
At first, the formula for weight loss seems simple: burn more calories than you consume. It’s more complex than it initially appears, though. As we gr...
Do fat loss products really work?
Michael Giliotti , NASM Elite TrainerMichael Giliotti , NASM Elite Trainer
Well, you have to just love this question... However I think you will be disappointed with the answe...
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
Slimming down can do wonders for your waistline and your cholesterol levels.
How Can My Spouse and I Lose Weight As a Team?