What should I know before taking lorcaserin?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have congestive heart failure, slow heart rate, or heart block greater than first degree, lorcaserin may not be a good option for you.

Weight loss can increase the risk of low blood sugar in people taking insulin or drugs that stimulate insulin production in the pancreas.

If you have severe kidney impairment or end-stage renal disease, lorcaserin can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, you should not take lorcaserin.

If you are breastfeeding, lorcaserin may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

If you have leukemia, multiple myeloma, sickle cell anemia, severe liver impairment, or Peyronie disease, lorcaserin may not be a good option for you.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Sleep More, Weigh Less
Sleep More, Weigh Less
The link between sleep and weight loss received a big boost in 2011, when a long-term, large-scale study confirmed that both too little sleep and too ...
How can I determine my body type?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
Knowing your body type can help you determine how and where to focus your weight loss efforts. When ...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
To Lose Weight, Use Smart Timing for Your Meals