What should I know before taking naltrexone and bupropion?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
If you take Contrave, you should avoid alcohol. If you have stopped drinking alcohol in the past few weeks, you should not take Contrave.

If you are over age 65, Contrave may not be a good option for you.

Contrave is not recommended for children and teens under age 18.

If you have epilepsy or high blood pressure that is not well controlled, you should not take Contrave.

If you have glaucoma or impaired liver function, Contrave may not be a good option for you.

If you have had anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa, you should not take Contrave.

If you have end-stage renal disease (ESRD), Contrave is not recommended.

Contrave may worsen depression or cause suicidal thoughts or behavior.

If you are pregnant, you should not take Contrave.

You should not take Contrave if you are breastfeeding.

If you have stopped taking a barbiturate, a benzodiazepine, an anticonvulsant, or an opioid in the past few weeks, you should not take Contrave. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Go Retro to Slim Down
Go Retro to Slim Down
What's the quickest way to get the body of your dreams? Eat like it's the 1970s. Some things about the '70s we definitely don't want to repeat: a col...
Why is it so hard for people to lose weight?
Mohsin Q. Soliman, MDMohsin Q. Soliman, MD
It is hard for people to lose weight because they can’t sustain weight loss for very long periods of...
How to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
How to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health BuddyHow to Find the Perfect Health Buddy
Get tips from Dr. Mike Roizen’s latest book, This is YOUR Do-Over.
How Can I Know If I'm Ready to Start a Weight-Loss Plan?