What is lorcaserin?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Lorcaserin (Belviq) is a weight-loss drug that suppresses appetite by causing a feeling of fullness. The drug probably activates nerve receptors in the hypothalamus, but exactly how it works is not well understood. Lorcaserin is approved for people with a BMI of 30 or more, and for people with a BMI of 27 to 30 with certain conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. It should be used along with diet and exercise. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

8 Ways to Trick Yourself Thin
8 Ways to Trick Yourself Thin
The formula for weight loss may be simple -- take in fewer calories than you burn, and increase your exercise to burn even more calories -- but oftent...
How can adding cocoa powder to my diet help me lose weight?
Sharon Richter, RDSharon Richter, RD
Adding cocoa powder to your diet can help you lose weight because it's low in calories, and will hel...
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them7 Common Weight Loss Mistakes—and How to Fix Them
Why Do Women Have a Harder Time Than Men Losing Weight?