What is lorcaserin?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Lorcaserin (Belviq) is a weight-loss drug that suppresses appetite by causing a feeling of fullness. The drug probably activates nerve receptors in the hypothalamus, but exactly how it works is not well understood. Lorcaserin is approved for people with a BMI of 30 or more, and for people with a BMI of 27 to 30 with certain conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol. It should be used along with diet and exercise. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Fat Busters: The Secret Is in Changing Your Routine
When Melissa McCarthy shed 75 pounds (from the 265 pounds she had on her 5’2” frame), she did it right—losing slowly and steadily, sticking with a get...
How do I get rid of the fat on my thighs?
Raquel Richards, NASM Elite TrainerRaquel Richards, NASM Elite Trainer
So you might not like the shape or size of your body. However, if you eat whole foods ...mostly vegg...
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
Slimming down can do wonders for your waistline and your cholesterol levels.
Give Up Guilt to Lose Weight
Give Up Guilt to Lose Weight