What are some guidelines for older adults who want to lose weight?

F. Michael Gloth, III
Geriatric Medicine
Some key guidelines for older adults who want to lose weight include:
  • Complex carbohydrates are preferable, especially those high in fiber content.
  • Stick with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, especially omega-3 fats.
  • Drink more water.
  • Incorporate more activities into your schedule, including regular exercise.
  • When you drink alcoholic beverages, minimize the high caloric impact by avoiding the high-calorie mixers or simple sugars that are added to many mixed drinks.
  • Vitamin supplements in the form of a daily multivitamin might be useful, but additional calcium and vitamin D supplements are warranted as we get older.
Fit at Fifty and Beyond: A Balanced Exercise and Nutrition Program (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

As people reach their fifties, the body’s metabolism slows. Without a change in eating or exercise habits, it’s common to put on weight and become less able to perform routine physical...

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

The Truth About Water Pills and Weight Loss
When it comes to weight loss, many people turn to diuretics, or water pills, for quick results. They buy them at the nearest drug store, order them on...
How can I lose weight if my health keeps me from exercising?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
The best way to lose weight without being able to exercise is to focus on the amount of calories you...
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
Slimming down can do wonders for your waistline and your cholesterol levels.
Burn More Calories With Tea
Burn More Calories With Tea