What lifestyle changes are most effective for long term weight loss?

Talal Khan, MD
A combination of mental, physical and spiritual well-being:
  • Eat a balanced diet
  • Exercise regularly
  • Get outdoors
  • Spend time with nature
Also, be sure to eat breakfast and get eight hours of sleep.

Partner with a physician-led program for medical weight loss.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
JJ Virgin
Health Education
Define your "why" to stay motivated. That might mean spending more time with your grandchildren or fitting into your skinny jeans. It's the key motivator that helps you stay the course. Remember lasting fat loss has more to do than just your diet. You want to get 7-9 hours of solid, uninterrupted sleep every night. You also need to control stress levels and incorporate burst training or another form of exercise.

Congratulations on keeping your eye on the big picture! Some people simply want to get the weight off, but thinking long term with these strategies will help you maintain those results.
John E. Ellis, MD
Anesthesiology
The lifestyle changes that are most effective for long-term weight loss include avoiding hunger, getting a weight loss buddy, and replacing "vice" foods. Watch as I shares my weight loss advice.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Can't Seem to Lose Weight? This Could Be Why
Go ahead. Blame your hormones for your weight gain. Specifically, blame two appetite hormones we've talked about before: ghrelin, which says, "Time to...
How can a change in mindset help me lose weight?
IFS - Innovation Fitness SolutionsIFS - Innovation Fitness Solutions
Your mind is your best weight loss tool. Losing weight does not happen overnight, and it is not some...
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight6 Simples Changes That Can Help You Lose Weight
Use the summer to get fit, eat healthier and live better
6 Ways That Show How Breastfeeding Benefits Mom's Health