What lifestyle changes are most effective for long term weight loss?

JJ Virgin
Health Education Specialist

Define your "why" to stay motivated. That might mean spending more time with your grandchildren or fitting into your skinny jeans. It's the key motivator that helps you stay the course. Remember lasting fat loss has more to do than just your diet. You want to get 7-9 hours of solid, uninterrupted sleep every night. You also need to control stress levels and incorporate burst training or another form of exercise.

Congratulations on keeping your eye on the big picture! Some people simply want to get the weight off, but thinking long term with these strategies will help you maintain those results.

A combination of mental, physical and spiritual well-being:

• Eat a balanced diet
  • Exercise regularly
  • Get outdoors
  • Spend time with nature

Also, be sure to eat breakfast and get eight hours of sleep.

Partner with a physician-led program for medical weight loss.

Dr. John E. Ellis, MD
Anesthesiologist

The lifestyle changes that are most effective for long-term weight loss include avoiding hunger, getting a weight loss buddy, and replacing "vice" foods. Watch as I shares my weight loss advice.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

In the Dark About Why You Can’t Lose Weight?
When Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids, Can You Ever Forgive Me?) decided to do something about her weight—she shed 75 pounds—one of her first steps was t...
How can I lose weight successfully?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
Losing weight is simple; it is just not so easy. I believe when this question arises it could be ref...
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol8 Ways to Lose Weight and Improve Cholesterol
Slimming down can do wonders for your waistline and your cholesterol levels.
Is It Possible to Get Addicted to Weight-Loss Supplements?