How can I monitor the success of my exercising?

There are many ways to know when you've been successful. One of the best ways is to set goals using SMART goal system. Goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time based. If you wrote goals on a piece of paper and you've met those goals then you've probably reached them. There are many ways to keep track of your goals and how you keep track is really dependent on what works for you. For short and long term goals a journal is helpful so that you can see progress and changes particularly over time. Writing short term goals on a calendar is helpful. A calendar is based in time and it will give you a good time perspective of how you are progressing from day to day. Daily goals can also be written on sticky notes and put up in areas where they can frequently be seen as a reminder. 

At some point fitness goals aren't about reaching goals written on a sheet of paper. It's about feeling better, looking better and being healthy. Can I climb more stairs than I did before? Can I walk further than I did before? Am I out of breath less often? Did I make it to the gym? 

You can monitor a successful exercise program by, comparing how you feel now to how you felt when you started.

Do you feel that you move better, feel better, feel stronger?

Do your clothes fit better? Do you look better in them?

Has your strength improved?

Can you run farther?

Has your stamina improved during exercise?

Trainers are a great way to keep track of your progress and to give you that extra push toward your goals.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Slow Down to Eat Less for Better Weight Control
Do you race to finish every meal like a contestant in Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest? If so, slow down and smell the grilled veggies. You'll e...
How is weight loss measured?
Ruth FrechmanRuth Frechman
If you are "scale-phobic," you can access weight loss by how your clothes feel. If you need a belt t...
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight6 Weird Reasons You Can’t Lose Weight
Could these surprising things be sabotaging your weight loss?
The Hidden Costs of "Free" Food
The Hidden Costs of "Free" Food