Is overeating an addiction?

Overeating can become an addiction. Just like drugs or sex, eating can trigger the release of dopamine, a feel-good neurotransmitter in the brain. Dopamine makes people feel good and want to continue to feel that way, so they repeat the action that made them feel good in the first place. Studies have been done on rats that were given high-fat foods; results showed they became hooked on those foods, just like they would on cocaine or heroin.
Judy Caplan

Addiction may be too strong of a word when it comes to overeating. However, overeating can definitely be a bad habit that leads to many chronic diseases. We all over eat on occasion but people who continually over eat may do so for a number of reasons. The pleasure sensors in our brain are stimulated when we eat. This stimulation releases chemicals that can temporarily reduce stress and anxiety. Overtime we rely on overeating as a way to feel better. Overeating can also be caused by eating the wrong type of diet. Sugary, highly processed food can lead to drops in blood sugar that in susceptible people can cause overeating.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

Walking Off Fat—Fast!
Walking Off Fat—Fast!
Saying you're too heavy to exercise is like saying you're too skinny to eat. Your body needs exercise just as your body needs food. And walking may be...
Can having a weight-loss partner help me lose weight?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
While there’s no guarantee that having a partner can help you lose weight, having someone to hold yo...
30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP
30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP30 Amazing Weight Loss Secrets You Must Steal ASAP
These are the only (editor-approved!) tricks you need to lose weight and keep it off. 
At What Time Should I Stop Eating At Night If I Want to Lose Weight?