Is food addiction a real condition?

Food addiction is a real condition. Any action or substance that allows one to feel good while they are doing it and then causes the person to experience the strong urge to do it again to get that good feeling can be considered an addiction. Food addiction can be grouped together with other eating disorders such as compuslive overeating, bulemia and binge eating.

Judy Caplan
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Food addiction is real. Whether it is due to allergies, brain function, or other physiologic or emotional causes, food addiction has real consequences. Food addicts are often obese. They are unable to control their food intake. Overeaters Anonymous is a good place to start if you suffer from food addiction. Also visit eatright.org for the name of a registered dietitian (RD) in your area. A RD can help you deal with this condition.

Continue Learning about Weight Loss

3 Weight Loss Strategies to Ditch
3 Weight Loss Strategies to Ditch
Every day new patients arrive at my office with a variety of health issues that need to be addressed—and weight problems are close to the top of the l...
How can joining a weight loss program help me lose weight?
Physix - Fitness Training and NutritionPhysix - Fitness Training and Nutrition
For a lot of people, having a structured, weight-loss program to follow, with a schedule and expecta...
14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories
14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories14 Easy Ways to Burn 100 Calories
3 New Superfoods for Weight Loss
3 New Superfoods for Weight Loss